Pages

Friday, February 9, 2018

Micro Tasks: An Easy way to Reach Those Goals

This is my desk after tidying. I can see my little foxy and I get more light.

A big goal I have set myself is to have a tidy sewing room in just over three months. The reward was there - space to work in and things in their place - but I didn't know where to fit the cleaning task time.

I thought about which habits are very strong now and here to stay. My morning routine is a series of tasks that are now like one big habit. I spent 3 months putting them in place. So what better way to create a 'room tidy habit' than to stack it inside my morning routine.

This is the journal desk before. The things I don't use every day went onto the book shelf
and I feel a lot less cramped.
I decided on just 30 mins a day and I have placed it directly after my morning walk and before my morning meditation. This has been working really well. Gentle tidying after my walk lets me cool down and the meditation after lets me relax after intense focusing.

I know exactly what has to be done. These free printables are from
the Business Bakery. I am keeping to track. The two I missed are
for the third wardrobe insert that I can't afford yet.

I broke every section of the room into micro tasks. I had to make them
even smaller to fit into the 30 mins. I spend 3 days at least on each task in this list.
I am doing the room tidy as a 100 days goal with some support from The Business Bakery. We are up to day 40 as I write this and I haven't missed a day. There is no pressure to work for hours making huge changes.


This second insert space had three boxes in it like the next space.

These are the boxes all emptied out. Well, they were all empty until I went to
Spotlight and bought several metres of fur. That box is stored under my desk now.

The second insert is in and starting to fill up.

I know that I will get pretty close to a perfect result at the end of the 100 days if I just stick to my 30 mins a day. Because I am not hurrying I take time to ponder where things need to be stored so I don't have to move them again.

I posted about my cutting table on Facebook. It is so nice to nearly have it back.

You can see that the top of the desk is my focus for now. The underneath is
a later task.
Day 1
Day 2

Day 3

Day 4. Emptied some drawers and put the stationery bits in little boxes in the wardrobe unit.

This is where I will keep the patterns I am working on instead of on the table.

This is a big job but I feel quite relaxed about it because it just seems easy to do a little bit at a time. I am so pleased with how the room is looking and I feel much better too.

I hope my successes will inspire you to do a big project a tiny bit at a time. It doesn't matter how long it takes, you just need to get started and do a bit at a time. You don't need fancy work sheets. Just get a lined pad and start writing tasks down.
What areas in your house could benefit from this type of makeover? Let me know in the comments.

Cheers,
Val

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or questions welcomed.